This year will be the 6th iteration of the Big Island Teen Health Camp, which staged its first event at the Kealakehe High School campus in 2011. A group decision was made at the last Camp to bring the event to East Hawai`i for 2015, and we will alternate between Kona and Hilo thereafter.
The 2015 Camp has been scheduled for August 29, 2015 (Saturday) on the UH Hilo campus. We are also pleased to welcome a new partnership with Hawaii Island Workforce & Economic Development Ohana (HIWEDO) and Hilo Medical Center.
Two new activities this year:
1. Professional Development for Health Services teachers
Sheri Gon (UH Manoa’s Medical Technology Department) will conduct the workshop. She will be joined by Margaret Pearlman (Perkins CTE Resource Teacher) and Shawn Uyeda (veteran Health Services Teacher at Castle High on Oahu).
Sign up on PDE3: #CTE180016 Big Island CTE Health Services Teacher Workshop, Section #278520
2. Teacher Listening Group to deliberate the following:
- What are the strengths of your school at encouraging the study of science [and health services]?
- What barriers are there to science [and health services] study?
What would maximize student interest in science [and health services] careers at our school?
- What would help your students become more interested in science [and health services]?
- What science [and health services] education resources are most needed in your classroom?
- What would your science [and health services] department look like in a perfect world?
Stay tuned for more details on the Teen Health Camp.