University of Hawai`i Manoa’s College of Engineering—in collaboration with ASCE Hawaii, Raytheon, SSFM International, U.S. Coast Guard—is sponsoring their annual High School Industry Challenge on October 13, 2016 on campus in Holmes Hall. The primary purpose of this event “is to increase the number of students interested in Engineering by exposing them to real life challenges with the help of our industry partners.”
- 2016 HS Industry Challenge Flyer for Impromptu Games (listing all participating industry partners and their challenges – please note that because this is an impromptu challenge, you will not receive the parameters of the challenge until the day of event) high-school-industry-challenge-impromptu-challenges
- 2016 HS Industry Challenge Flyer for Planned Games (listing all participating industry partners and their challenges – please note that the National Guard Challenge, we hope to release by tomorrow, we are fine-tuning some of the parameters and appreciate your a patience) high-school-industry-challenge-planned-challenges
- Link to register and to see each challenge is on the following website: 2016 Registration form
- Each challenge has a maximum number of teams. Registration per challenge is on a first come, first serve basis.
- Each team will have one month, beginning today, to work on their challenges, with the exception of the ASCE Hawaii and Raytheon challenge, which is an impromptu/day of challenge.
- Any materials required for the challenge are reimbursable up to $50 maximum.
- Should a team have a materials request that exceeds the $50 reimbursable amount should first email Dr. Myhraliza Aala for approval. Submitting a request does not guarantee reimbursement, therefore please do not purchase items beyond the $50 without receiving her approval first.
- All relevant receipts and completed WH1 form wh1-2012, which must be submitted on the day of the event.
- Reimbursement checks must be made out to one person per team (ideally the coach/teacher/sponsoring chaperone).
- Teams should be encouraged to use recycle items.
- Teams competing for the SSFM Challenge, once you have registered, they will send you the solar panels. Please indicated who the package should be mailed to and correct address.
- Any questions regarding the individual industry challenge should be directed to the contact person on the challenge sheet. For example, for SSFM, your contact is Engineer Salvador at email@example.com
- Once they confirm the planned challenged from the US Coast Guard, they will provide you a contact for the challenge.
- While they have been able to do so in the past, they no longer have available funds to provide airfare for student teams from the neighbor islands.
- Lunch will be provided to all participating schools.
Questions or want more information?
Myhraliza Aala, Ed. D., M.A.
S.T.E.M. Marketing and Public Affairs Officer
College of Engineering | Holmes Hall 203 | UH Manoa |
2540 Dole Street | Honolulu, HI 96822 |
T (808) 956-0776 | F (808) 956-2291| firstname.lastname@example.org