Free professional development (PDE3/stipend option) opportunity for Big Island educators (K-12). The two-day workshop will be held during spring break of 2017.
Workshop participants will receive hands-on training in fundamentals of renewable energy including light, photovoltaic, solar heating, energy conservation & audit lessons, and more using inquiry science methodology. They will also be introduced to Defined STEM, an online 21st century learning platform that provides standards-aligned (HCPS III, Common Core & NGSS) performance tasks, literacy tasks, and real-world videos, enabling students to see the relevance of K-12 topics through real-world careers and themes.
By participating in the two-day workshop series, qualified teachers will receive:
- An Island Energy Inquiry™ (IEI) curriculum guide aligned to HCPS III and Common Core standards
- An opportunity to earn three (3) PDE3 credits OR a $200 stipend
- An IEI kit of in-class lab aids
- Full access to the IEI website and resources (www.islandenergyinquiry.org) or (www.islandenergyinquiry.com)
- Full access to the IEI Equipment Libraries
- Full access to Defined STEM website and resources
- An opportunity to engage with local industry renewable energy professionals to receive the latest information on technologies, to be able to make the connection from classroom to industry application, and to learn more of the career opportunities available in the energy sector
- On-going support to complete classroom implementation (WebEx follow-on required)
SAVE THE Big Island DATES
DATES: March 21-22, 2017, plus two (2) Required online Follow-on Sessions (Dates TBD)
TIME: 9 am – 4 pm
REG FEE: $20 (fully refundable upon full attendance)
LUNCH: Breakfast snacks & lunch included both days!
Preliminary registration link here*: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/KaHei_MAR17
For more information about the Ka Hei program:
Victoria Suarez at 808.600.9444 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about Island Energy Inquiry™, contact course instructors:
Graham DeVey: 808.270.6804 or email@example.com
Melinda White : 808.875.2332 or firstname.lastname@example.org