Two exciting events shared by Hayley Matson-Mathes from Hawaii Culinary Education Foundation. She also would like to remind you “to reach out to your Hawaii Culinary Education Foundation Chef Mentor to schedule a workshop or experience.” If you need assistance, contact Hayley (Tel: 808-941-9088; email: firstname.lastname@example.org)or Fern Yoshids. Big Island culinary teachers could contact Patti Kimball.
HCEF Teacher Dine-Around Contest The purpose of this offering is to encourage the scheduling and execution of the HCEF Chef Mentoring experiences.
2017 KIK Recipe Contest Flier This event is sponsored by Hawaii Gas. The original recipe submission must include at least one local ingredient. All submissions must be received between August 1–September 30, 2017. The contest rules details can be found on flyer; the entry form at the website: http://hawaiifoodandwinefestival.com/recipecontest
Grand Prize Winners will receive:
- Grade 4-8 winner: Two-Night Stay at Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa
- Grade 9-12 winner: Two-Night Stay at Aulani, A Disney Resort & Spa and a $500 cash scholarship.
Questions? Email: email@example.com
Mark your calendars for this event, scheduled for September 22, 2017 (Friday) on the Hawai`i Community College Hilo campus.
Hilo Pathways SAVE THE DATE
Target audience: Big Island teachers (especially CTE), counselors, administrators and inteerested staff. CTE teachers may use their Perkins funding for subs, as approved for their SY2017-18 One Year Plans. District funds may be available to support travel (i.e., car rental) for school counselors and administrators.
Work is in progress to offer this as non-credit program on PDE3. Stay tuned for more information.
The Office of Hawaiian Affairs’ monthly newsletter is now available online:
Ka Wai Ola o OHA Newspaper
It’s a worthwhile read to get information to improve lives of Native Hawaiians, including funding opportunities.
This week-long summer program is a “nature immersion camp’ sponsored by the Edible World Institute with the intended purpose of giving “the next generation an immersive experience to learn to love and care for nature and our future.”
KEEP Scholarshipfor (GG)
- Program dates: June 24 -July 1, 2017
- Location: Huehue Ranch, 72-3667 Hawaii Belt Road, Kailua-Kona HI 96740
- Qualification: self-directed learners (ages 13 – 18) looking to expand their relationship with the world
- Fee: $1200, with $1000 scholarships avaiable
- How to Apply: Submit the answers to the above announcement (on a word document) to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with a signed cope of the student authorization form Keep Student Authorization Form GG
Application Deadline: June 5
For more information:
Samantha Smith, President / Culinary Educator
Edible World Institute, Kona HI
Guidelines for free DVDs:
- School librarians are allotted 120 blank DVDs for program ordering; individual teachers get 70 per year.
- Every January 1 a new allotment of 70 or 120 DVDs are renewed.
The list of programs can be viewed on the website: OCISS Video Technology
You can also order your programs through this site.
A brief explanation on how to order:
- Go to the Teleschool web page. (Type Teleschool in your search window)
- Go to the drop down window labeled Express! On the top portion of the home page.
- Click on video or audio if you want to order the from the Music and Sound Effects Library.
- Click on Express! Video Ordering System.
- Type the program title.
- Check the box in front of the program and enter the amount of the programs in the next box.
- At the bottom of the page click complete my order. You can continue to search by clicking search for more.
- On the following page. Click complete my order again.
- Fill in the appropriate info. on the next page. At this point your order is complete. You will receive a email receipt as confirmation. They will also send you an email informing you of the amount of DVD required to complete your order. If your order exceeds the allotted amount of blank DVDs. You will be requested to send in the appropriate number to complete your order.
- Programs are copied on a one-to-one basis. This is a copyright issue. So they cannot edit programs onto one DVD. Some programs have multiple episodes per DVD. So you will not know the amount required until you receive their order confirmation email.
Questions? email via Lotus Notes or call
For planning purposes and to avoid time conflicts, please refer to this CTE schedule: SY2017-18 CTE Event Dates
This is a 12-month (Julu 2017 – June 2018) leadership program for incoming Big Island high school juniors (Class of 2019). Program’s primary goal is to help students develop “practical application of problem-solving skills, communications techniques, and leadership approaches to facilitating collaborative solutions that benefit the collective.”
“WHY: Our views and actions are impacted by split second decisions based on the thousands of information feeds coming to us through social media, digital technology, and the coconut wireless. How often do we sit down and meet with the people we disagree with to ask why they feel the way they do? How often do we sit back and wait for someone else to fix the problem? If everyone acts this way, then who takes action? If not you, then who? If not now, then when? GRACE Leadership Journey explores reallife issues and provides skills and techniques to help you make a difference!”
GRACE leadership Journey
Application (form and letters of recommendation) due by May 5, 2017.
Space is limited to 15 students.